These days, 10 minute meals are what get us through work-from-home lunches. Now that we've been home for over a year, we have to get a little creative with our quick meals (and have gotten slightly sick of meal-prepped chicken!). Our base is either greens or a piping hot bowl of noodles or rice, so the creativity goes into the protein. Shrimp and egg stir-fry is the perfect answer.
Shrimp and egg stir-fry is an easy recipe that's reminiscent of the simple meals I would eat at home during my summers in China. China summers are stifling hot, so much so that my mom would try to cook as quickly as possible to avoid cranking up the room temperature even more. Not only is this dish easy and fast, but it's filling.
The secret to shrimp and egg stir-fry is actually not to stir it too much! In Chinese, the dish is called 滑蛋虾仁 which translates to silky egg and shrimp. We want to keep the egg fluffy and glistening!
Ingredients for shrimp and egg stir-fry
When a dish takes under 10 minutes to make, the ingredients are just as easy:
- Shelled and deveined shrimp - you can usually buy shrimp already shelled and deveined with head and tail off, however if you buy whole shrimp, then the prep might take a little longer!
- Shaoxing wine - sub with any rice wine or dry sherry. This helps to add a deeper flavor to the eggs!
- Cornstarch - to make a cornstarch slurry
Shrimp and egg stir-fry recipe instructions
- Devein and remove shell, head and tail from your shrimp if you have whole shrimp. Marinade with 2 teaspoon of Shaoxing wine and 1 teaspoon of salt.
2. Heat up 2 tablespoon of neutral oil on a pan and cook shrimp until they turn pink. Turn heat off and leave in pan to cool. Do not drain. We want to keep the cooking juices and oil for flavor!
3. In a separate bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoon of water to make cornstarch slurry.
4. In another large bowl, lightly beat 4 eggs. Add in the shrimp with the oil and the juices that are left in the pan. Add the cornstarch slurry. Mix well.
5. Heat up the pan again, pour in egg/shrimp mixture. Don't disturb and let the edges start cooking through, they will get fluffy and "bubbly". Use chopsticks to lightly scramble the eggs and flip.
6. Sprinkle with chopped green scallions and let cook for 30 more seconds, then serve!
Quick and easy 10 minute recipes
There have been more days than I thought that would require 10 minute recipes! With only an hour in between meetings for lunch, and nothing in the fridge, try my quick and easy kimchi fried rice, healthy egg fried rice, or a tasty tomato and egg stir-fry!
10 Minute Shrimp and Egg Stir-Fry
- ½ lb deveined and unshelled shrimp
- 2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine (sub dry sherry or rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon neutral oil
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 stalk scallion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mix with 2 tablespoon water to make cornstarch slurry)
- Devein and remove shell, head and tail off your shrimp if whole shrimp. Marinade with 2 teaspoon of Shaoxing wine and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Heat up 2 tablespoon of neutral oil on a pan and cook shrimp until they turn pink and are just cooked. Turn heat off and leave in pan to cool. Do not drain.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of water to make a cornstarch slurry.
- In another large bowl, lightly beat 4 eggs. Add in the shrimp with the oil and the juices that are left in the pan. Add the cornstarch slurry, too. Mix well.
- Heat up the pan again, pour in egg/shrimp mixture. Don't disturb it, let the edges start "bubbling". Use chopsticks to lightly scramble the eggs and flip.
- Sprinkle with chopped green scallions and cook for 30 more seconds, then serve!
Jere Cassidy says
I am always on the lookout for an easy shrimp recipe and this definitely caught my eye, love that I can make this in 10 minutes.
Made for this for the kids, served it with some rice, they loved it!
Look so yummy and healthy! Reminds me of egg foo young which is always one of my favorites!
This was so easy!
I am constantly craving a bowl of good fried rice. This recipe is amazingly speedy! Thanks for sharing.
Ayngelina Brogan says
I made something similar last week but not with cornstarch, I'm going to try adding that next time.
Emily Flint says
I never thought to have shrimp and eggs together but this sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it!
This stir fry is so perfect for a quick dinner!
It really is great for a quick dinner!
Amazing shrimp stir fry recipe!! So so good!
Jessica Formicola says
I get tired of boring scrambled eggs every morning, so this stir fry is perfect for me! I can't wait to make it for breakfast this weekend!
Super interesting flavor combo!
This is so tasty - love it for a quick lunch!
Love how quick and easy this is to make!
So good!! Love how easy it was to make
So quick and easy!
Perfect for leftovers! Yum.
This was our lunch today and it was delicious and so quick and easy!
This shrimp and egg stir fry is my comfort food. So easy to make and absolutely delicious!
This was a truly delicious recipe- my kids loved it too and will definitely add it to my regulars 😋
That was sooo delicious! I made it for lunch and my family flipped. I will def make this again.
Easy and delicious!!
This is really good!
I love 10 minute meals!! And this was quick and healthy too!
So savory and hearty!
I love shrimp so I'm always up for a new recipe to try, ad if it takes so little effort I feel even more tempted! Thank you!
I love breakfasts for dinner and stir frys are always on the menu. I loved the idea of cooking sherry marinated shrimp with eggs. When I served it to my husband he cleaned his plate! In other words, it was a hit!
This is a great idea for breakfast! When you are tired of boring eggs, this recipe will be a great treat, especially when you have some guests over 😉
Amy Nash says
These made a quick and easy light dinner for me and the kids this week while my husband was gone. It was delicious, satisfying, and healthy!
Aditi Bahl says
tried these and they came out delicious. My family just loved it and have asked for a repeat. saving this in my fav recipes.
Moop Brown says
This meal looks super tasty! I love how quick and easy to make it is as well- definitely a dish everyone will enjoy.
Veronika Sykorova says
This looks amazing! Basically, fancy scrambled eggs, I can't believe I've never thought of this before, I love shrimp!
Loreto and Nicoletta says
Okay, this looks absolutely fabulous. I gave done some Asian panda ki es with the shrimp and sprouts but never tried inva scramble d egg. Looks wonderful, love the play on flavors and textures!🥰❤️👍😋