These days, 10 minute meals are what get us through work-from-home lunches. Now that we’ve been home for over a year, we have to get a little creative with our quick meals (and have gotten slightly sick of meal-prepped chicken!). Our base is either greens or a piping hot bowl of noodles or rice, so the creativity goes into the protein. Shrimp and egg stir-fry is the perfect answer.
Shrimp and egg stir-fry is an easy recipe that’s reminiscent of the simple meals I would eat at home during my summers in China. China summers are stifling hot, so much so that my mom would try to cook as quickly as possible to avoid cranking up the room temperature even more. Not only is this dish easy and fast, but it’s filling.
The secret to shrimp and egg stir-fry is actually not to stir it too much! In Chinese, the dish is called 滑蛋虾仁 which translates to silky egg and shrimp. We want to keep the egg fluffy and glistening!
Ingredients for shrimp and egg stir-fry
When a dish takes under 10 minutes to make, the ingredients are just as easy:
- Shelled and deveined shrimp – you can usually buy shrimp already shelled and deveined with head and tail off, however if you buy whole shrimp, then the prep might take a little longer!
- Shaoxing wine – sub with any rice wine or dry sherry. This helps to add a deeper flavor to the eggs!
- Cornstarch – to make a cornstarch slurry
Shrimp and egg stir-fry recipe instructions
- Devein and remove shell, head and tail from your shrimp if you have whole shrimp. Marinade with 2 tsp of Shaoxing wine and 1 tsp of salt.
2. Heat up 2 tbsp of neutral oil on a pan and cook shrimp until they turn pink. Turn heat off and leave in pan to cool. Do not drain. We want to keep the cooking juices and oil for flavor!
3. In a separate bowl, mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water to make cornstarch slurry.
4. In another large bowl, lightly beat 4 eggs. Add in the shrimp with the oil and the juices that are left in the pan. Add the cornstarch slurry. Mix well.
5. Heat up the pan again, pour in egg/shrimp mixture. Don’t disturb and let the edges start cooking through, they will get fluffy and “bubbly”. Use chopsticks to lightly scramble the eggs and flip.
6. Sprinkle with chopped green scallions and let cook for 30 more seconds, then serve!
Quick and easy 10 minute recipes
There have been more days than I thought that would require 10 minute recipes! With only an hour in between meetings for lunch, and nothing in the fridge, try my quick and easy kimchi fried rice, healthy egg fried rice, or a tasty tomato and egg stir-fry!
10 Minute Shrimp and Egg Stir-Fry
- ½ lb deveined and unshelled shrimp
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine (sub dry sherry or rice wine)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 stalk scallion
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (mix with 2 tbsp water to make cornstarch slurry)
- Devein and remove shell, head and tail off your shrimp if whole shrimp. Marinade with 2 tsp of Shaoxing wine and 1 tsp of salt.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of neutral oil on a pan and cook shrimp until they turn pink and are just cooked. Turn heat off and leave in pan to cool. Do not drain.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water to make a cornstarch slurry.
- In another large bowl, lightly beat 4 eggs. Add in the shrimp with the oil and the juices that are left in the pan. Add the cornstarch slurry, too. Mix well.
- Heat up the pan again, pour in egg/shrimp mixture. Don't disturb it, let the edges start "bubbling". Use chopsticks to lightly scramble the eggs and flip.
- Sprinkle with chopped green scallions and cook for 30 more seconds, then serve!