Kimchi fried rice has always been my go-to fried rice recipe because it's so easy for anyone in a rush. I always have either commercial kimchi or homemade kimchi and gochujang at home. Add in a couple cups of rice in a skillet, and you have yourself kimchi fried rice and under 10 minutes!
The great thing is that if you're vegetarian, this is the perfect vegetarian kimchi fried rice for you! If you're vegan, make sure to purchase vegan kimchi. Most commercial kimchi brands contain fish sauce.
What is kimchi?
Kimchi is a traditional side dish in Korea made of salted and fermented vegetables. You'll typically find these in grocery stores with napa cabbage as the key ingredient. Other vegetables such as daikon can be fermented, too! As you can see from my dish, my kimchi is a mix of quartered daikons and napa cabbage.
As with all fermented things, the longer it ferments, the more sour it becomes. This is why I always have kimchi at home because it sits well in the fridge. Kimchi that is been fermented for a longer time is best for kimchi fried rice because the rice balances out the acidity. Fresh kimchi is just as delicious, but hasn't acquired as unique of flavors. Want to make your own at home? Try my quick and easy kimchi recipe.
Ingredients for quick kimchi fried rice
- 1 cup of kimchi (and some of the kimchi juice)
- 2 cups of overnight cooked rice - I always recommend using rice that has been kept in the fridge overnight. This helps to remove moisture from the rice so it doesn't become mushy when you stir-fry it. If you're making fresh rice, spread it onto a baking sheet and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes before using.
- 1 heaping tablespoon gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
I like to add additional toppings such as sesame seeds, green onions and even a sunny side up egg. I wasn't kidding when I said this is a quick and easy recipe.
- Heat up a skillet and add 1 tablespoon of neutral oil.
- Add in 1 cup of chopped kimchi and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 tablespoon of gochujang and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in 2 cups of cooked rice (ideally rice that has been in the fridge overnight). Break apart the rice and add in ½ cup of kimchi juice.
- Stir-fry until all ingredients are well-incorporated.
The great thing about kimchi fried rice is that you can add in a variety of toppings that suit your palette. While it does have the spiciness and slight sweetness from the gochujang, this dish is an open palette.
- Fried egg - I prefer to cook mine sunny side up and break the yolk into the rice
- Spam - You can slice up the spam and fry it up before you add in your cooked rice
- Scrambled eggs - Similar to my Chinese fried rice, you can cook the scrambled eggs before you start this recipe and set aside. Then add them back in at the very end! This is great if you like having pieces of egg to eat throughout the meal
Quick and Easy Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup kimchi (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- ½ cup kimchi juice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- White sesame seeds
- Fried egg
- Scallions/green onions (chopped)
- Chop one cup of kimchi so the pieces are bite-sized
- Heat up skillet with 1 tablespoon of neutral oil. Add kimchi and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon of gochujang and continue to stir-fry.
- Add 2 cups of cooked rice and break the rice apart so there are no clumps.
- Pour in ½ cup kimchi juice. Ensure that the gochujang and the kimchi juice are evenly distributed across the rice.
- Serve and top with white sesame seeds and scallions.
Yum, this sounds amazing! The best kind of meal in my opinion are the ones like this that start with something simple (like rice) and add great flavors like kimchi. Great tip on using overnight rice, I'll try that next time.
I definitely agree!
This was very good. My first Korean meal and we loved it.
I'm so glad, Kristina!
Yum! Kimchi fried rice is my favorite - so simple, easy ingredients, but delivers amazing flavors in every bite! Can't wait to make this again
Yummy!!!!! I love kimchi and this friend rice recipe. Like that you put gochujang too to give it a bit of extra kick. I especially love your suggestion about adding spam. Such an Asian thing but fried rice, egg and spam is like my favourite dish ever!
Kim Guzman says
Yum! Kimchi is fantastic with that tart bite. I never thought to add it to fried rice. That looks brilliant and now I've got a craving. I need to check and see if I've got anymore kimchi in the cupboard. I can't wait to try this.
Such a wonderful and easy way to enjoy kimchi!
Amanda Marie says
This looks really good. I've only started to try kimchi and love this take on it.
It's definitely something you have to get used to, but it's so great, especially for gut health!
Oh yum! How delicious! It's a great idea to mix it with rice. I must try this asap. I love kimchi.
So easy to prepare and delicious - a great dish full of flavour!