Updated on July 22, 2021 by Julia
I love a good sauce with chicken wings. Y prefers chicken wings baked or fried until the skin is crispy. I was able to find a happy medium with these air fryer gochujang chicken wings.
These air fryer chicken wings are still crispy, but come with a finger-lickin’ good gochujang marinade that only consists of a couple ingredients. The chicken wings only take 22 minutes to crisp up in the air fryer and require a quick toss in a pan before they’re ready to serve.
The secret to crispy gochujang chicken wings
- Baking powder! I learned this secret a little while back that makes air fryer chicken taste just as crispy as fried chicken– without the breading or the oil.
- Drying your chicken wings. Make sure to pat your chicken wings with paper towels before seasoning to ensure the seasoning sticks and they crisp up.
Can I bake these chicken wings?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake these in the oven at 400 F for about 40 minutes. An air fryer is smaller, which cuts down the time, and make sure easier clean up. Follow the rest of the recipe as is.
Ingredients for Korean-style wings
- Chicken wings (if you buy these whole, make sure to separate the drumette from the wingette
- Salt, garlic powder, and paprika to taste
- Baking powder
- Sesame Oil
- Rice Vinegar (helps to cut the saltiness)
- Honey (adds a hint of sweetness to add more dynamic flavors)
- Water (use to thin down the sauce)
What is gochujang?
Gochujang is a popular spicy fermented Korean chilli paste that is equal parts sweet and spicy. It’s used famously in spicy soft tofu soups. You’ll easily find these at any Asian supermarket in the sauces/marinade aisle.
Air Fryer Korean Chicken Wings
- Air fryer
- 1 lb chicken wings (0.5kg)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp honey (sub sugar)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp water (use to thin down sauce)
- White sesame seeds
- Scallions (chopped)
- Pat chicken wings to dry. Season with salt, garlic powder, paprika, and cover with baking powder. Toss to coat evenly.
- Air fry for 20 minutes at 400°F/205°C. At the 10 minute mark, use tongs to turn your wings so they are evenly cooked on both sides.
- Mix gochujang, rice wine, honey, toasted sesame oil in a bowl, use water to thin the sauce out.
- Heat sauce in a pan to thicken and quickly toss chicken wings in the pan and coat evenly with sauce.
- Top with optional scallions and white sesame seeds