I love a good sauce with chicken wings. Y prefers chicken wings baked or fried until the skin is crispy. I was able to find a happy medium with these air fryer gochujang chicken wings.
These air fryer chicken wings are still crispy, but come with a finger-lickin' good gochujang marinade that only consists of a couple ingredients. The chicken wings only take 22 minutes to crisp up in the air fryer and require a quick toss in a pan before they're ready to serve.
The secret to crispy gochujang chicken wings
- Baking powder! I learned this secret a little while back that makes air fryer chicken taste just as crispy as fried chicken-- without the breading or the oil.
- Drying your chicken wings. Make sure to pat your chicken wings with paper towels before seasoning to ensure the seasoning sticks and they crisp up.
Can I bake these chicken wings?
If you don't have an air fryer, you can bake these in the oven at 400 F for about 40 minutes. An air fryer is smaller, which cuts down the time, and make sure easier clean up. Follow the rest of the recipe as is.
Ingredients for Korean-style wings
- Chicken wings (if you buy these whole, make sure to separate the drumette from the wingette
- Salt, garlic powder, and paprika to taste
- Baking powder
- Sesame Oil
- Rice Vinegar (helps to cut the saltiness)
- Honey (adds a hint of sweetness to add more dynamic flavors)
- Water (use to thin down the sauce)
What is gochujang?
Gochujang is a popular spicy fermented Korean chilli paste that is equal parts sweet and spicy. It's used famously in spicy soft tofu soups. You'll easily find these at any Asian supermarket in the sauces/marinade aisle.
Air Fryer Korean Chicken Wings
- 1 lb chicken wings (0.5kg)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon gochujang
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon honey (sub sugar)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water (use to thin down sauce)
- White sesame seeds
- Scallions (chopped)
- Pat chicken wings to dry. Season with salt, garlic powder, paprika, and cover with baking powder. Toss to coat evenly.
- Air fry for 20 minutes at 400°F/205°C. At the 10 minute mark, use tongs to turn your wings so they are evenly cooked on both sides.
- Mix gochujang, rice wine, honey, toasted sesame oil in a bowl, use water to thin the sauce out.
- Heat sauce in a pan to thicken and quickly toss chicken wings in the pan and coat evenly with sauce.
- Top with optional scallions and white sesame seeds
These sound so delicious!
These chicken wings looks so flavorful, and the spices are on point! And I love that they’re made in the air fryer
The flavor is amazing!!
How crispy and delicious these are! Yum!
Love my air fryer and love these delish Korean chicken wings!
I'm such a huge fan of Korean food! We moved and no longer live near all the good Korean restaurants. I can't wait to try this, it looks so authentic!
These spicy wings look incredible! gochujang is one of my favorite sauce additions too!
I love this recipe! Been looking for a good Korean chicken wings recipe but less greasy...and this one is so fingerlick' good!
Great recipe! So delicious!
Wow gochujang sauce wings! Just amazing
My next purchase is going to be an air fryer and this is going to be my first recipe. Absolutely cannot wait!
This is genius! I love the preparation method too, and how simple and wholesome all the ingredients are. Thank you for sharing!
Newbie In The Kitchen says
These look absolutely delicious! I never knew baking powder was the secret to getting them crispy!
Yes! I think it actually works better than cornstarch 🙂
Amanda Dixon says
These wings were a hit with us! The baking powder gave it the perfect crisp texture, and that marinade is unbelievably flavorful. So good!
I will always choose gochujang wings over plain old buffalo wings. These did not disappoint.
Who would have guessed baking powder would make these air-fried Korean chicken wings crispy? The marinade is amazing.
Wow these Korean wings looks amazing! I didn't know how important it was to pat down the wings first, and using baking powder is very interesting. The Gochujang marinade sounds awesome too, can't wait to try these!
I love this recipe and love your tips for making this extra crispy! Thank you for sharing, I will be making this again soon!
These chicken wings look absolutely delicious! This is another reason why I need to buy an air fryer 😉
I’m always looking for new wing recipes. They are a favorite at our house. These Asian flavors sound amazing and I can’t wait to give this recipe a try.
These are just so yummy! What a quick, easy and delicious way to make wings. Yum!
Totally saving and making this later. Loving the flavors and I've been looking for air fryer ideas...so excited to try!